Tuesday, August 31, 2010

911 substitute




http://tinyurl.com/2cawflq

I'd still rather have the 993 I posted earlier than this so my vote still lies with a 993 Carerra 4S with good mileage and aftermarket goodies.

That said, if you wanted something newer, this is a cost-effective 295hp way to get there and keep the mistique. I actually like the Cayman. The reason I like it is that the 91,1 from the 996 and 997 derivations onward, has become too big and too heavy. In turbo form it is a weaker but still driveable supercar and they had to create the GT2 and GT3 to compete with real supercars. They are maxing the potential of the 3.6L and 3.8L mills. The normally aspirated 911 is, therefore, a stripped and fat supercar.

The CAYMAN S has become what the pre-996 model 911s were. Smaller, lighter, tossable driver's cars. They are powerful and driveable coupes. They have separated themselves from the Boxter and, in coupe form, become a racer. Even porsche recognizes the lineage by giving the Cayman Sport S the old RS/CS livery with the rocker panel stripe and script text. I like the decision to introduce the car into the Porsche lineup. It is a car to be respected.

1 comment:

  1. All excellent points. This might be a really good car. But to be honest, I never even looked into one cause every time i see one i want to say "GAYMAN"

    ReplyDelete